Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ruined: A Novel by Paula Norris

How's this for puzzling? I went on Amazon to take a look at this book, which I read about two months ago, and discovered that it hasn't been released yet. Ooohhh. Spooky.

Which is interesting, because this is a ghost story. Oddly enough, I am obsessed with all things ghost - except ghost stories. I almost never read any. I don't know why that it is. Could it be that I think they're lame? Might be. And while we're talking lame, here's the lame reason I bought the book in the first place: I liked the cover.

At any rate, this book, which I was undoubtedly able to purchase because I bought it at a school book sale (mystery solved) was pretty good as far as ghost stories go. Rebecca's dad has some bad news for her: he has to go on an extended business trip, so she has to go stay with her aunt. That might be cool if Rebecca actually knew her aunt, or maybe even if her aunt lived in the neighborhood. But New Yorker Rebecca learns that she'll be making a move to live with her "aunt" and aunt's daughter in New Orleans. To make matters worse (worse for Rebecca; I actually think it's kind of cool) her aunt reads tarot cards for a living and believes in all sorts of superstitious mumbo-jumbo.

Yeah, that's a drag. Oh wait: that's not the bad part. The bad part starts when Rebecca is enrolled in a snobby private school where, you guessed it, everyone hates her. I'm sorry; someone from New York not cool enough for people in New Orleans? I think not.

A cute guy, some way obnoxious teenage girls, and a ghost in the local cemetery later, the story gets pretty interesting. I won't say it's the most engaging book I ever read, but I definitely enjoyed it.

LAME FACTOR: Like I said, it wasn't the most engaging book of all times, but I'll give it a 3 out of 5 on the lame factor. The New Orleans setting and very cool cemetery scenes will probably keep your attention.

YOUR PARENTS WILL FREAK FACTOR: There's not nearly enough action between the main character and the cute guy to make things interesting. Even your grandmother would be disappointed.

BRAIN POWER: Reasonably well-written with a good vocabulary. Don't worry; you'll be fine. By the way, how many books are you supposed to read this summer? You'd better get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment