Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Love You, Hate You, Miss You by Elizabeth Scott

“You know, I always thought I told you everything, but there are some things I should have said and never did. I should have told you about the time I lost your new sunglasses. I know you really liked them. I should have apologized every time I puked on your shoes and especially the time I ruined your brand-new skirt, the one with the beading. I should have apologized for a lot of stuff.” (From Love You, Hate You, Miss You by Elizabeth Scott).

Yeah, sure. You and your little friends are “bad.” Ha! These two could teach you a whole bunch of new tricks.

Julia and Amy are best friends, doing the kinds of things best friends do: coloring each other’s hair, sharing clothes, laughing and crying over boys. And then there’s the other stuff, like drinking - during school, after school, before school. Oh yeah, there’s also that time Julia gets killed, leaving Amy wondering how she’s going to make it on her own.

Love You, Hate You, Miss You is a complex story of growing up and what it really means to be a friend. I have to say, it seemed like one or the other of them was always annoying me, but that’s probably because I’m an old lady who thinks kids should behave themselves. How boring. You, however, will probably LOVE this book.

LAME FACTOR: I don’t see how you kiddies could find this lame in any way. I’ll give it a zero.

YOUR PARENTS WILL FREAK FACTOR: These two are always up to something, and that something often involves alcohol, drugs, or boys. Get your parents to take a look before you start reading. Only mature readers need apply.

BRAIN POWER: Well-written - but you don’t need to be a brain surgeon to figure out what’s going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment