Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

First of all, a big shout out to Molly in Section 703 for introducing me to this book. Second, I think a story will best demonstrate what I thought of Catalyst: Molly offered me this book at the end of third period on Wednesday, and I was able to return it to her on Thursday by fourth period. It's not like I didn't have anything to do, it was just that good.

Here’s something that will shock you: I have come to understand that my favorite books are those where the main character is an intelligent teenage girl with a lot of common sense. If she does not talk an excessive amount, that’s a plus. Not surprised? I had never actually figured that out until I started Catalyst and knew right away that the reason I would love the main character, Kate Malone, was because she was an amazing student whose main area of interest was chemistry. Awesome.

It turned out I was right: I thought Catalyst was a great book, although I didn’t always like Kate. She could be a little snotty and self-centered sometimes - even when she was trying to be nice. I guess we’ve all been there, though. Kate didn’t always demonstrate common sense either - like the time she decided making MIT the only school she’d apply to. Nobody’s that good. It’s called a safety school, Kate; get one.

As I started the book, I assumed that the MIT thing would be the big problem Kate dealt with throughout the story. Turns out, even I have a lot to learn about plot: MIT is probably one of the least important things in Kate’s life. There’s also her father, who is a minister, her dead mother, her obnoxious boyfriend (at least I thought he was obnoxious) and her asthmatic younger brother. There is also the town’s “white trash” citizen Teri, a teenage girl who could take on a longshoreman in an arm-wrestling contest. Teri lives with her mentally impaired mom and adorable younger brother in a shack of a house. You’ll be shocked to know that the shack isn’t flame retardant. Poof! up it goes. Did I mention Kate’s dad is a minister? So, like a good minister, he naturally invites Teri and her brother to come on over and live with them.

Dramatic, huh? Please; that’s nothing - but I’m stopping here. The twists and turns in this story could make you motion sick. At one point, I was actually shocked - and that doesn’t happen to me often when I read.

There is no reality show on TV that comes close to this drama, so put down the remote control, wave bye-bye to all the pretty little liars, and grab a copy of this book. You’ll learn a thing or two about drama.

LAME FACTOR: Do I really need to spell it out for you? This book is amazing. Zero lameness.

YOUR PARENTS WILL FREAK FACTOR: Between schoolwork, long distance running, and helping out with her father’s parish activities (“activities” like Teri and her brother), Kate doesn’t have much time for getting into trouble. There’s a little action between Kate and her boyfriend, but she’s not all that into him anyway. Try reminding your parents of the crap they show on TV.

BRAIN POWER: Just because Kate is a genius, doesn’t mean you have to be. If your brain is average, you’ll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment