Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg

Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet is the fifth Charlie Holmberg novel in a row that I’ve read.  I loved The Paper Magician Series and really liked Followed by Frost.  Naturally, I also enjoyed this book Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet but here’s what I learned: I don’t think I like fantasy all that much.

That said, the degree to which I enjoyed or did not enjoy this story has less to do with the author and her writing and more with my personal taste because Charlie Holmberg is a master at creating fantasy worlds.  As someone who has completed one novel and is working on a second, I can’t even begin to understand how Holmberg comes up with all of these amazing elements: the intriguing plot, the original fantasy characters, an otherworldly setting. 

As for the story itself, Maire has a problem in that there is a huge chunk of her life she can’t remember.  She also has a great gift, the ability to infuse emotion into her baked goods.  It’s a skill that definitely ramps up business in her shop; it’s also a skill that draws unwanted attention and soon, she finds herself a slave to the somewhat psycho Allemas after her town is sacked by roving bandits.  Allemas is a highly abusive master and that is something I really had a problem with in that there are some pretty graphic and repetitive scenes of violence and pain.  To be honest, I think I lean toward “nice” stories (think Jane Austen) and all the hitting and broken bones started to be too much.

The book does have its “nice” aspects, of course, particularly in the form of the mysterious and angelic Fyel, a white, winged male character who seems to have played an important role in Maire’s past.  Maire herself is also a good person who looks to be kind and forgiving even in the face of extreme cruelty.

Overall, if you enjoy fantasy and you don’t mind a good punch in the face, I think you will very much enjoy Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet.

LAME FACTOR:  I may not have loved every minute, but it definitely wasn’t lame.  0/5

YOUR PARENTS WILL FREAK FACTOR:  This is more of an adult than a YA book, but it’s still pretty tame except for the violence.

BRAIN POWER:  As with all of this author’s books, it is well written but entirely within the grasp of an average reader.



No comments:

Post a Comment